THE STOREYS OF LANCASTER.
his father found it difficult, especially with his limited means, to maintain so many sons, it was decided that the family should remove to the county town, hence the advent of the Bardsea - originally Troutbeck and Old Hutton - Storeys to Lancaster.
Isaac Storey died on the 4th June, 1841, aged 43, and was buried within the Priory and Parish Churchyard of St. Mary's Church, Lancaster.
Mr. Jonathan Binns was a native of Liverpool. His mother was one, Mary Albright of Lancaster. He was a skilled agriculturist and became Secretary of the Lancaster Agricultural Society in 1812, succeeding the Rev. James Stainbank, Rector of Halton and Vicar of Kellet.
Mr. Binns was the first person to have gas introduced into his house at Lancaster. His office was on Castle Hill, and his residence was in West Place. In 1824 he published a map of Lancaster made from his own survey; this map represents the character of Lancaster in 1821, and has all the old paddocks and wells marked upon it. In 1837 be published his book, "The Miseries and Beauties of Ireland." He was one of the original members of the Lancaster Literary, Scientific and Historic Society. He was an Assistant Commissioner engaged in an Agricultural Inquiry in Ireland. Mr. Binns married Rachel, daughter of William Streknay, a member of a well-known Yorkshire Quaker family. The marriage took place at the Friends' Meeting House, Oustwick, near Hull. Mr. Binns died at Edenbreck, Lancaster, on the loth March, 1871, aged 85 years. It may be added that Mr. Binns was appointed High Constable of Lonsdale South of the Sands on the 23rd April, 1842.
Various interesting items are reserved for the biographical section, which will treat of Sir Thomas Storey and his brothers likewise.
There is a strong facial resemblance among the Storeys, Storys and Stories noticeable more or less in all the branches we have met both in the northern and southern counties, and all those who take any interest in their origin claim the North of England and the Scottish Border as their primeval source.
In Lancaster the story of Storeys is writ prominently on almost every side of the town in both metal and stone, and in structures sacred and secular, as every citizen is aware. The aims, effects and the permanent nature of the latter speak for themselves; it would therefore be out of place to say anything further on these matters. What may afterwards be mentioned will only be mentioned as facts such as may be justifiably alluded to in regard to general progress in Lancaster and vicinity.
Some interesting items from the Lord's Rentals of Kendal Barony, Wills, Indentures, Court Roll Notes, and various carious matters relating to the Storeys of Troutbeck will now follow.