THOMAS STORY OF JUSTICE TOWN.
Thomas Story, the distinguished member of the Society of Friends, was educated at
Carlisle Grammar School. He then went in for the study of law, and read under Dr.
Richard Gilpin, of Scaleby Castle (County Cumb.) He settled in chambers in the
Border City in 1687. Up to this period he was a churchman. He became a member of
the Society of Friends on the 1st April, 1689. In 1693 he met William Penn and
accompanied the latter to Ireland in 1698. Settling for some time in New England,
Thomas Story became the first Recorder of Philadelphia by charter dated 25th
October, 1701. He was shortly afterwards constituted a member of the Council of
State - held the office of Keeper of the Great Seal and Master of the Rolls. Next we
find him nominated Mayor of Philadelphia in 1706. Declining to serve he paid the
fine of £20. (See Proud's "History of Pennsylvania.") Among other offices
held by Thomas Story was that of Treasurer to the Pennsylvania Land Company. He
returned to London on the 6th December, 1714. In 1718 he attended the funeral of
William Penn. Mr. Story's wife was Ann, daughter of Edward Shippen, a gentleman who
left Yorkshire for Philadelphia in 1675. Mr. Shippen was a Boston merchant. He
belonged to Methley in the county of broad acres, and was the son of William and
Mary Shippen. He died on the 2nd October, 1712. Edward Shippen's first wife was
named Elizabeth Lybrand, of Boston. This lady be married in 1671. She died at
Boston, 25th October, 1688. The second wife of this gentle-man was Rebecca,
daughter of John Howard, of York, and widow of ffrancis Richardson. His third wife,
whom he married in Philadelphia, was Esther, daughter of Barnaby Wilcox and widow
of Philip James (see Ancestry of Rosalie Norris Johnson, pp. 187-188 and 191
Ann Shippen was a daughter of the first wife.
Thomas Story purchased Justice Town from his brother's widow, circa 1723.
This lady's husband was George Story, the well-known Dean of Limerick.
In 1741 he was seized with an attack of paralysis. He recovered, and, in the
summer, left London for Justice Town. In the following spring he was seized with
another attack, and died on the 24th June, 1742. His remains were buried in the
ground of the Friends' Meeting House, Carlisle. (See "Annals of the Early
Friends," by Frances Anne Bridge, No. 16 - Thomas Story, 1877).
Dean Story was a great admirer of Schomberg, the distinguished Field Marshal. He
was present at the battle of the Boyne with Lord Drogheda. He was a supporter of
the House of Hanover. He it was who executed an excellent map of Londonderry and
wrote a "History of the War," dedicating the latter to William, Prince of Orange.
George Warter Story, as he is termed in the Dictionary of National Biography,
was chaplain to the Dowager Countess of Carlisle from 1688. In 1694 he became Dean
of Connor (see Story's Journal, p. 51), Dean of Limerick, 7th April, 1705.
He preached at St. Dunstan's Church,