"At the picturesque church of St. John, Ellel, on Sunday morning, 15th September, 1912, the dedication took place of a three-light memorial window erected to commemorate the late Mrs. Storey, wife of Mr. H. L. Storey, D.L., of Bailrigg. The window in memory of Mrs. Storey is the centre light of the south side, and is symbolical of 'Faith, Hope, and Charity.' The central figure of Charity being a life-size representation of the deceased lady in whose memory the window is being erected. The inscription underneath reads 'To the glory of God, and in memory of Emily Muriel Storey, who died February 6th, 1911, this window is given by her husband, H. L. Storey, of Bailrigg, and their children.' The church, which was completed just five years ago, contains a number of interesting memorials, indicative of the pride which its parishioners feel in the church. The excellent organ which the church possesses was the gift of Colonel F. Cooper Turner, J.P., in memory of his wife, who was a daughter of the late William Storey, Esq., J.P., of Fairfield, Lancaster.
"The service was conducted by the Rev. F. Coleman, M.A., Vicar. The hymns were of a special character suited to the occasion. 'Through the nights of doubt and sorrow,' 'Let saints on earth in concert sing,' and 'For all the saints who from their labour rest.' The anthem was, 'What are these?' (Stainer). The lessons were read by Mr. Storey.
The Vicar, just before the sermon, proceeded, accompanied by the churchwardens to the new window, and pronounced the dedication formula, which was followed by prayer.
"Preaching from the text enshrined in the scroll of the memorial window, 'But the greatest of these is charity' (1 Cor. xii., 13), the Vicar said they rejoiced in every good gift that was given to God's House, and all that the arts, whether art, music, or painting had to give, would find a place in God's House, and would be used in His service to teach people to worship Him in the beauty of Holiness. Their chief thought, however, with regard to that gift which had just been dedicated to His service was that it was a most worthy and suitable memorial of a beautiful life. It would remind them in a very special degree of one who had developed in her life the three great Christian virtues of Faith, Hope, and Love. They were hers by nature, but nature's gifts, no matter how lavishly they might be bestowed, needed care and thought in their development. Not only did Mrs. Storey possess these gifts, but she developed them in a wonderful manner, and used them to His honour and glory, and the welfare and well-being of mankind. Her faith at all times was bright and clear, and she manifested to all that her religion was a natural part of her life. No one could be in her presence without realising that she was in the best sense of the word a truly religious or faithful woman. To the pessimism of the present day she was ever a standing rebuke, and her hope for humanity led her to labour both in her own life and to induce others to labour so that possibly they might be reclaimed.
"But the greatest of her graces was that of charity or love, especially as it was manifested in service and devotion for the good of others. Of her it might well be written, as one great man of the last century desired it might be written of him, 'write of me as one who loved his fellow men.' So it might well be written of her, as, indeed, it was in hearts that would always remember her devotion and willingness to serve and help others. 'To live in the hearts of those we love is not to die,' and well, indeed, it was their church in its wisdom taught them to keep such beautiful lives in memory, and remember the beautiful lessons they conveyed to them. As a picture would inspire, influence, and teach men long after the artist's hand was lowered in the dust, so also a beautiful character might still influence and ennoble the lives of those with whom it had been associated long after that which formed the body had passed from them and the spiritual passed within the veil."
Mr. Storey was president of the Lancaster Historical Pageant held in August 1913. In the first episode he represented with great sucess King John - and contributed in various ways to render the living tableaux the delight they proved to be to the thousands who witnessed them. The Lancaster Pageant was under the patronage of their Majesties the King (Duke of Lancaster) and the Queen.