to William Ashworth, Esq., of Ashworth. These two gentlemen aliened, enfeoffed, and confirmed the messuages, houses and lands in Bailrig, Scotforth, Langthwaite, Nether Hutton and Bulke to Richard Tompsone, Robert Shawe and Thomas Fell for the sum of thirty pounds, ten shillings. Richard Tompsone and Robert Shawe are described as of Bailrigg at the time, and probably they were tenants and occupants of various parcels of land in the manor. In the receipt granted by the Chancellor and Council of the Duchy of Lancaster to ffrancis Parkinson and Lawrence Parkinson for twelve pounds. Duchy revenue, certain lands and tenements alluded to arc spoken of as being within and "part of the manor of Bailrigg." The date of this receipt is 30th January, 1781. Probably Bailrigg was a berewick at one time.
Bailrigg seems to have been let and sub-let to many persons, and in many instances these persons cither were allied or became allied. Prior to the year 1639, we find Charles Clapham and Thomas Clapham, of Clapham, county York, in possession of Balerigg. We likewise find a James Lund, of Baylerig, whose will was proved in 1638; and Andrew Lund, probably son of James, mentioned in a deed, dated 1668, and subsequently John Shaw and Robert Shaw, from whom certain closes of land at Bailrigg passed in 1648 to one Christopher Preston. The Shaws, however, are described as of Bailrigg in a deed dated 1659. Robert Shaw, the son of John Shaw, married Ellen, daughter of John Troughton, of Overton. An Alice Shaw, of Bailrigg, spinster, appears as late as 1692. John Beckett, of Bailrigg, blacksmith, appears in a deed dated 1656, and mention is made of a son, Robert Beckett.
In 1668 John Higgins, of Bailrigg, formerly of Nightgill Hole (Nightingale Hall), in Bulk purchased messuages and lands in the manor, from Robert Hynde; and in 1659 William Parkinson purchased the Little Meadow in Bailrigg (see deed 9th May, 1659).
Robert Hynde is described in an Indenture, dated February, 1669, as "late of Bailrigg," and he is mentioned as being settled at Overton, the parish whence his sire came. He disposes, according to the Indenture, of a messuage or dwelling-house at Bailrigg, in the possession of John Higgins, to John Pearson for one hundred pounds.
Christopher Bracken, probably son of Christopher Bracken, vivens Scotforth in 1626-27, appears in 1670. He seems to have purchased from the Hyndes, and to have followed them. This Christopher had a son, William, who married Elizabeth, daughter of ffrancis Beckett of the Postern Gates, in Quernmore, ante 1678. A John Wilson, of Bailrigg, is met with in 1680-85. Then we find William Parkinson in a deed of February, 1672. disposing of a close in Bailrigg to one Ralph Longworth, of Catterall. In 1683 ffrancis Parkinson and Edward Parkinson are named in a lease of Bailrigg to the aforenamed Ralph Longworth. In 1678 this Ralph Longworth sells certain messuages and lands in Bailrigg to John ffrance, of Little Eccleston, and Henry ffrance, of Elswick. In 1683 William Parkinson is met with purchasing lands from Charles Clapham. The small holders, amongst whom Bailrigg was evidently divided seem to have bought from one another and sold to one another, or to have added to their possessions or leases as they were able or thought fit. Next we meet with a John Cawson, who disposes of a close of land and lets a messuage at Bailrigg to ffrancis Parkinson in 1705. An Ellen Sill and a William Sturzaker are found to have been at Bailrigg in 1706, after which we come across a James Dugdale and a Thomas Dugdale, his son, of Bailrigg. Deeds evince their having resided on the Bailrigg estate from 1728 to 1749. The Kews, related to the Brackens and the Gardners, appear to have been identified with Bailrigg from 1727, if not anterior to this year. A William Kew was living at Bailrigg in 1778, and John Kew, his son, so recently as 1810. Among other dwellers at Bailrigg were Leonard and Margaret Burton, as appears by will of the latter made in 1763. The Burtons, described as of Bailrigg, belonged to Melling, and were buried there. A George Bateman is named as of Bailrigg in 1867.
Bailrigg has now, phoenix-like, risen from its ashes. It is now under one lord. namely, Mr. Herbert Lushington Storey, J.P., D.L. The new manor-house of Bailrigg was erected in 1898. The mansion is in the Elizabethan style of architecture. The gardens are admirably laid out, while the home farm and out-buildings are all of an up-to-date character. Bailrigg is situated about three miles from Lancaster, and one and a halt miles from Galgate.