THE STOREY INSTITUTE, LANCASTER.
Dwynog, Co. Brecon, same as Story of Wilts.
Stories, of Paisley, are identical with Storeys of Camberwell and Thames Ditton.
(No mention in Heraldic Visitation of the North," by Thomas Tonge, N.K.A., 1530).
The Yorkshire Stories bore arms quarterly, 1st and 4th per fesse argent and sable, a pale countcrchanged, on the first three herons of the second. The Northumberland Storeys carry for crest a heron sable in its bill a snake gules. 2nd and 3rd paly of six, or, and gules, on a chief argent, three lozenges of the second.
STOREY OF LANCASTER.LIVERY INFORMATION. - Founded upon the Arms granted to Sir Thos. Storey. Dominant metal and colour. Argent, silver or white. Gules, red.
LIVERY.-Coats and vest, slight drab. Facings and cording, red, chocolate, or claret. Hatband and cords, silver. Buttons, crested and silver-plated. Harness ornaments, crested and silver-plated. On carriage panels, either (1), the crest (2), crest and monogram (3), crest with motto, or, (4) crest, motto and monogram. On state occasions, the full armorial bearings.
THE STOREY INSTITUTE.Of the many public buildings of which Lancaster is so justly proud, the Storey Institute occupies a foremost place in the public life of the town, and none is more appreciated or made more use of by the inhabitants.
It is difficult, after having the advantages of this educational institution for 21 years, to realise the conditions existing prior to its establishment. The Mechanics' Institute, which stood upon the site of the present building, had done splendid educational work for many years (being established in 1824), but as the town grew in size, and the teaching of science and technical subjects was felt to be a need of the time, it entered the mind of Sir Thomas Storey, who had always been anxious that the youth of the town should have better opportunities of acquiring a knowledge of art and science than he had, to erect a building where the study of these subjects could be pursued under the most favourable conditions, and which would at the same time be a permanent memorial commemorative of the 50th year of the reign of Her Majesty Queen Victoria.
The building, three storeys in height, situated at the junction of Meeting House Lane and Castle Hill, is a handsome structure of the Renaissance style of architecture, designed and carried out by Messrs. Paley & Austin, architects.
The rooms are commodious and well adapted for the purposes for which they were intended. After passing through the entrance hall, on the right is the public news-room, and to the left the public library and reference rooms, containing upwards of 23,000 volumes. The rest of the ground floor is occupied by rooms entirely devoted to the teaching of science. The Lecture Theatre is arranged in semi-circular and gallery form, and will accommodate about 130 persons. Adjoining the Lecture Theatre is a lecturer's private room for the preparation of experiments and demonstrations. Close to this, and approached by a stone staircase, is the Chemical Laboratory, furnished and fitted up with all necessary appliances for the study of practical chemistry. On the opposite side of the corridor is a large Physical Laboratory, and a room containing a steam engine and boiler, along with other machinery, for the purpose of teaching engineering.