A CENTENARIAN STOREY.
The old family of Greg, as it was originally spelt, who resided at Snittlegarth in the parish of Torpenhow, near to Threapland, became allied by marriage to both the Williamsons and the Storys - a branch of the Kirklinton Storys. The daughters of Roger Greg, Esq., were co-heiresses (one married Roger Williamson of Snittlegarth, and another the Rev. John Story, circa 1739 Vicar of Dalston). The Williamsons of Snittlegarth and Myrehouse were one and the same family. (See p. 156, Section VI.).
The Rev. John Story, forty-five years vicar of Dalston, was buried September 12th, 1776, aged 86. (Dalston Register). The rev. gentleman is alluded to on pages 150 and 156.
It is a point that is anything but easy to decide as to whether the name Stree, Strey, or Stray is really a variant of Stirae or Storry. The Stray or Strey family seemed to have belonged to the neighbourhood of Doncaster, and Thomas Strey was a wealthy lawyer in that town and his will was made in the 22nd year of Henry VIII.
As for Starkey, it is probably the same as Stark. 0. E. Stout, Strong, unyielding. considered quite distinct from stork or stork-eye. *
A CENTENARIAN BEARER OF THE NAME STOREY.The following cutting was forwarded by Colonel J. H. Storey, of Brooklyn, N.Y.:
"CARMI, ILL., Dec. 13, 1912 (?)-Mrs. Betsy Storey was one hundred years old to-day and was the central figure in a big celebration that drew 300 relatives and friends to her farm.
Mrs. Storey was born in South Carolina and came to Illinois in 1818, the year Illinois became a State. She has lived on the same farm seventy-six years and has never ridden on a train or worn a corset. She has ten living sons and daughters, three more than seventy years of age, all living on the home farm, which is a large one. She baked a cake yesterday to be used in the celebration, but it was cut into small pieces and carried away as souvenirs.
Mrs. Storey has always smoked and never misses a day using the pipe. She does not believe in woman suffrage. She is in good health and believes that she will live a long while."
STOREYS OF NORTHUMBERLAND.The first mention in the Rothbury Parish Church records of the name of a Storey living at Snitter appears to be in 1657 when Roger Storey was buried from there. A Roger Storey, twelve years later, resided at the Hirst, and the family of Storey lived there down to the early part of the 19th century.
OF SNITTER, BLUE KNOX, KNOCKLAW AND ROTHBURY.
Flotterton and Little Tosson were the homes of two other branches of the Storey Family down to one hundred years ago, while Rothbury Forest the name still given to an area covering the farms of Sheephirst, West Row, Morrall Hirst, West Hirst, and The Hutt have each been occupied by a Storey in the 17th and 18th centuries.